Further to our November briefing, Powys County Council (PCC) has published its proposals for savings to be made in spending upon discretionary services for 2019/20.
There are a number of proposals that will have significant implications for many community groups, voluntary organisations and Town and Community Councils in the county. These include:
• 100% reduction of the Community Enablement Support Fund (this is PCC’s principal community grant fund)
• 100% reduction of the Tourism Development fund
• 80% reduction of the Grounds Maintenance Budget • 50% reduction of the Tourism Development and Marketing Budget
• Youth Service - Review grants to external bodies and review staffing and service costs to save £165,000
• Arts & Culture Service - Review options to save £139,000 including ceasing service & remove the Council from arts & cultural partnership arrangements
• Countryside Services - Reduction of 3rd Party spend, review staff levels to save £145,000
• Museum Service - Cease external grant support, review staffing, maximise opportunities for partnership working to save £85,000
• Outdoor Recreation - Transfer of play areas to Housing and community councils, review grass cutting. Review Staffing levelsto save ££97,000
• Budget reductions proposals for Sports Development - Reductions in staffing levels and reduced level of participation and support with clubs and activities to save £108,000
PAVO is currently seeking further information from PCC about the detail of what is proposed and in particular their assessment of the potential impacts. We shall also be meeting shortly with the Leader and Deputy Leader of the Authority, Cllr Rosemarie Harris and Cllr Aled Davies, to discuss these matters in more details.
We will keep you informed of the outcomes from these discussions. In the meantime, if you have particular concerns regarding the proposed budget reductions in respect of your own organisation and its operations and would like to discuss them with PAVO, please contact us 01597 822191 or email@example.com
If you have specific concerns about the proposed savings and the impact they may have on your organisation and community, we suggest you raise them with your local County Councillor(s). Contact details for all Powys’ County Councillors are available at: https://en.powys.gov.uk/findmycouncillor
A copy of the schedule of proposals is attached for your information. You can also read the Local Authority’s press release on this issue at: